Links

Monday, August 29, 2011

Michael's First Day of Preschool

Dear Michael,
Today was a big day for us- it was your FIRST DAY OF PRESCHOOL!!  I must admit, I was a little nervous.  What about?  I don’t know.  You slept in this morning.  Must have known you were going to need all of the extra energy to play with your new friends. We started the morning with a big breakfast and you ate more this morning than you have in a long time.  Then, as usual, it was a mad rush to get you and your brother out of the house.  But, before you knew it we were off to the YMCA to start your school year.  We walked to your classroom holding hands with your school bag hanging off of your shoulder, we met your teacher Miss Sara and the second we turned the corner of the newly remodeled classroom you quickly jerked your hand away from me and headed for the block center.  Now, I’ve been a preschool teacher so I know how the first day usually go, it includes tears.  So, as your Dad and I were instructed I gave you a kiss, told you to have a good day and left with a firm, “I’ll be back soon.”  I quickly tried to get out of the door before you noticed I was leaving but couldn’t help turning around to take one last peek at you before William and I went on- just the two of us- with our morning.  I turned to see you pointing at me with a, “Hey, where does she think she’s going look,” on your little face.  It was ok.  We were both ok.  
When I came back to get you precisely 2 hours and 15 minutes later William and I anxiously waited for you in the middle of thirty other parents- all who were anxious to see their two year-olds.  I waited and I waited, then finally your little head peeked out of your classroom and you caught a glimpse of me through the glass door.  You ran, Michael, faster than you ever have before... right into the glass door.  That’s right.  You were so excited to see us that you didn’t pay attention to the door in front of you.  Your teacher quickly checked to make sure you were ok and then you popped outside, jumping up and down with delight.  (By the way, the other moms thought you were just adorable.)  I don’t think I was ever so happy to see you after only two hours.  You wouldn’t stop talking- the whole way to the car you babbled.  I knew you had made new friends and worked on an art project.  Oh, and you learned a new song about fish.  But, as I asked you questions you jabbered 100 miles per hour with everything that happened during your morning.  As I was finished loading you and Will into the car I took a peek into your bag.  In it was picture you had colored at school that morning.  I cried.  I know, you may be embarassed by me for it, but I did.  I bawled right there in the parking lot.  
You are getting so big, and I love you so much.  I can’t believe how quickly these two years have gone, and now... my baby’s in school.  This morning is something I will never forget.
I love you, Monkey. 
Mommy


You on your first day.



No comments: