Links

Friday, October 22, 2010

Down On the Farm!!

My favorite place in the Quad Cities is Shady Knoll Farm.  Not kidding, my favorite place.  It happens to be the location my family would go to every year to pick up our harvest decor.  My siblings and I would race around the farm on the hunt for the perfect pumpkin.  There is so much to do, so little time.  Acres of fields to pick you own pumpkins and wild flowers.  Corn mazes come in all shapes and levels of difficulty.  There are the horses and plethora of other farm animals.  A perfect holiday shop fit with freshly popped popcorn and kittens.  Not to mention the owners-,The Denhardts, couldn't be nicer people.  We would pile our findings into the car and the first thing I would do when we got back to my parents house was decorate the front porch with cornstalks and hay bales.  Cinderella pumpkins and bird gourds.  I miss that about home.  I wish I could pick up Shady Knoll Farm and drop it in the middle of the suburbs, but even if I did that it wouldn't be the same.  I blame Shady Knoll Farm for my obsession with harvest shopping.  

A few weeks back Jane, Laura and I took the boys to a Punkin Farm.  Today Mike, Jane, Dennis and myself took the boys to The Farm.  A cozy farm stand two blocks from Dennis' parents' home.  It really is as good as it could get in the middle of a city!  I simply asked Dennis in the car not to ask me why I need six varieties or pumpkins and/or squashes to decorate our home with.  When we walked out of there with $61.20 less in our bank account he didn't say anything to me.  Well, he made one joke.  But, really, that's good for him.  This trip is one I look forward to all year.  Where I can scan hundreds of pumpkins for the right one (and the other ten I need for various reasons).  Now, I'm not looking for myself really, but for my boys.  For they will always have the perfect pumpkin.  :)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: