Links

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Planes, Trains and Automobiles


Planes, Trains and Automobiles

It’s a routine in our house.  Daddy gets home from work and immediately takes the boys upstairs with him while he changes out of his suit and so I can finish dinner.  I usually hear laughter and screaming coming from the three of them.  Most days Dennis has managed to start a WWE wrestling meet in the few short minutes they are up there before dinner.  I love the noises that come from these wrestling meets.  Shrieks of excitement and uncontrollable laughter.  Then of course dinner.  Followed by Dennis and I staring at the devastation of a kitchen table William has left behind for us to clean up.  And, every other night we take baths.  For that hour after baths and before bed we spend some quality family time together.  It’s usually Den’s only time to hang out with the boys during the week after a long day’s work.  These boys love their dad.  In fact, I would say they are a bit obsessed with him.  Tonight, however, they had me.  Just me.  Daddy had a late appointment so I did the best I could wrestling and running around with them.  They must really prefer their dad because tonight they simply stopped in the middle of wrestling with their boring mom and turned their attention to all things planes, trains and automobiles.  Michael is at that perfect stage where you can give him a bucket of cars and he will spend hours lining them up in strange configurations and paying incredible attention to every detail.  And, now William can’t help but mimic his brother.  Except, Michael hates it when William wants to play with his cars because, well, Michael is a little hostile after he’s worked so hard on a perfect line of cars only to have his brother devastate it with one quick swipe of his hand.  So, now William must be distracted with some other device as to not disrupt Michael.  Tonight it was a remote controlled train Michael received for Christmas.  William spent 45 minutes figuring out each button and running this train all over our living room.
I don’t mind that they don’t enjoy wrestling with me.  I'll admit, I'm not nearly as talented as Dennis is in that department.  I was perfectly happy sitting in the corner of the room watching their little brains hard at work.  Kids are incredible.  I’m particularly fond of mine.

No comments: