Links

Friday, September 30, 2011

Apples to Apples.

Apples to Apples
Apple Holler

One of my favorite memories growing up was our annual trip to the local apple orchard.  Then we would spend the next two weeks peeling, coring and baking apple goodies.  Nothing tastes better than a fresh apple pie topped with vanilla bean ice cream.  YUM-O!  Apple picking (just like our Christmas tree tradtion) is something I want our boys to know and experience, especially while they are young enough not to complain about it.  We kidnapped Jane and Mike and hit the road to Wisconsin for a day jam packed with Golden Delicious and Jonathans!  
The weather did not cooperate.  It was a gloomy day and mud seemed to be on every surface from our week long rain out.  Not to mention, the school buses and field trips kind of take the wind out of you a bit.  But, it didn’t stop us.  No, I tell you, I would not let it.  We found our way to a quiet part of the orchard, where Michael and William could run about and taste anything their little hearts desired.  Where my father-in-law could climb and fall out of a tree without anyone noticing.  Where I could give Dennis a lesson in apple fetching from the top branches- the apples are top notch up there!  Where I could enjoy our little family doing something I always cherished as a kid.
After a quick lunch at The Brat Stop (and some sausage shopping) we were on our way home with two very tired boys.  
I must tell you I believe that Dennis has come to appreciate these (what he initially thinks are crazy) traditions I am so adamant about keeping.  And, to see the boys in row after row of juicy treats made me so happy.  What a great day!




No comments: